Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Aftermath

The Aftermath of my weekend is actually anti-climactic. Today was a normal day and I think that is just what the Ishi ordered. I taught at the middle school today. Since the teachers asked about my weekend, and I told them, they asked me to share with the students. The students and the teachers then had a good laugh. At lunch I sat a table which included a giggling girl that liked to say my name, giggle when I looked at her, and then look away. Repeat a few more times...

After lunch there was an assembly for the school's clubs. The first and second year students would go up on stage and give a short demonstration of what their club embodied, then the third year students would give them a good luck cheer for the season and maybe a gift. We did this for each club and there are 17 clubs.
 
All the clubs overlayed on eachother. Artsy?

It was only somewhat entertaining, but I liked the concept. We don't have this type of ceremony in America. I wonder if, when I come back to the states, if I became an administrator at a school, maybe Principal, could I implement some of the practices from the Far East? I like all the school spirit the kids have, even if it is forced. I believe it is mandatory for each student to join a club, and each club meets after school everyday. The students are so busy with school activities, they don't have a lot of time to get into trouble doing drugs or vandalizing things. The students are required to clean the whole school everyday. This ensures the school is very clean at all times. You don't need to wear shoes indoors because the floors are swept and scrubbed each day, plus outside shoes are not allowed, so the floors stay pretty clean anyway. Would these types of things fly in America?

After school I came home and was visited by a census taker. My broken Japanese (broken like Lindsay Lohan's Disney image) was enough to send her on her way without counting me for their statistics.

Dinner is next and Kouchou-sensei brand rice is on the menu. Avocado Gonzales Kouchou-sensei!

No comments:

Post a Comment