Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Weekend Round-up!

Thursday night I dreamt I hatched 12 eggs from our chickens and one of them turned out to be a crane. I gave the crane special attention when it was hatching, so it formed a bond with me, and slept on my chest and neck as a cat would. I needed to leave from the location the eggs had hatched, but it was hard to round up 12 little chicks.

Next I dreamt I had been rafting on a river earlier in the day with Max and was now going back to inform him of our departure. It was near the end of the day and I had gone away from the river, while he had stayed and hung out near the banks. As I was walking along the sand, I looked down and saw the corner a $50 bill peeking out of the sand. Upon inspection I found a complete wallet full of money. I kept looking through the wallet and found it to be my own, one I had lost many years earlier.

Friday
There had previously been some confusion about where I would be working. One of my schedules said I would work at the elementary and another said I would be working at the junior high. I got it sorted and had a mostly free day at the junior high. We had two classes in the beginning of the day and the rest was fun time. I was supposed to learn a dance during 4th period, but there were no bells to signify period ends, so I just stayed in the third period class and totally missed dance practice. I was too busy working on a mosaic, apparently. After lunch, I went and watched a short choral practice, then went to the gym to watch a dry run of the choral performance. Each of the 5 third year classes has a song they will sing for the Culture Festival, so I got to hear five different songs. At the conclusion, the teacher in charge asked me how I liked their presentation. Then she told me to give a speech to the kids. I asked her if the speech could be in English but she told me “No”, because no one would understand it. I struggled through a brief critique in Japanese and was applauded upon my conclusion. After school I practiced Break-dancing with the two guys I am learning with.

Saturday
Saturday was Matsuri! I woke up time but I forgot when the train left from the station close to my house, so I missed it and got to run across town to catch the train I needed from the major station. I made it on my train and to the Kawagoe station with no problems. Yuki arrived from yoga and we put our stuff in the last coin locker available. She gave me a present from her trip to Osaka.

"Oppai Pudding"


Hello Miss, What ya got there?


Ya don't say!


Heart Boobs!


We walked around the festival and saw a lot of cool things













As well as many food vendors

Twirly Fried Potatoes


Gachapin and Mokku Snack


Happy Face Potatoes


Patisserie!

And money wasters

Give this guy 300yen and walk away.
Maybe you'll catch a goldfish before you leave.
Not likely.


This guy offers a chance to catch a turtle.
Same probability as the fish guy.


So many turtles
:(

While we were perusing a clothing shop, the proprietor came up to talk to us. He was wearing really cool jeans so we asked him about them. They were hand painted in Japan and cost $1,500! He took us into his shop and showed us all the different styles he had available. They prices varied up to $2,800. Also on display were some really cool t-shirts. Embroidered and designed in a Japanese influence, some were still rather pricey.











Proprietor


The Store front



I found a shirt I liked but it didn’t seem like it was the right size; everything in Japan is smaller than in America. I tried it on and it fit! I snatched it up, since it was the only one of its design he had left.










He saw my shoes and liked them, so he offered to trade me for a pair of Nike Air Jordan V’s. He was selling them for $380, and my shoes only cost me $80, but the Jordans were the wrong size, so I kept my shoes.

I found a shop that had a plethora of edamame with different flavors: chocolate, green tea, caramel. I bought some green tea edamame to bring to work on Monday. They were a big hit!

When nighttime came, the lanterns on the shrines were turned on and all the shrines began to look very old-timey. It was so lively and crowded at the festival, I loved it!


There was also a haunted house







One of the lantern guys


This is a restaurant


Sunday
I woke early enough for a Sunday and met up with Paul. We were going to do errands! All I wanted to do was get my haircut but the day would unfold in a different way for me. Saturday turned out to be the worst day I’ve had yet. Everywhere we went, I had trouble communicating. First, the haircut place was closed and I couldn’t read the posted hours to find out when I could come back. Then I had some trouble understanding the hairstylist I was able to find open. It seemed like I needed an appointment and I should call first the next time, but things were never really made clear. We went to Mos Burger and had lunch, then walked to a bakery and looked around. Paul wanted to go to this particular bakery because they give you tea and a confection just for walking in. We enjoyed our sweet potato bar thing and some really hot black soy bean tea. I realized I needed some passport photos for the next day and started to worry about were I could get them. I tried to do stuff on the internet with websites that offered photo cropping services to make sure everything is in the right dimensions, but ultimately I made them myself in Photoshop. Then I had to figure out how to print them at 7-11. I walked to the shop and a guy helped me out, but my picture was in the wrong format. I returned home and reformatted the picture, then ventured out to try again. This attempt was met with success!

Working on Diplomatic Relations




Cool looking Bar








Interesting facade on this apartment building







Monday
Monday went almost 100%!

I had a lot to do today, but I got it done.

Mostly.

I went questing.

I had the day off because I have to work next Saturday for the Culture Festival, so I finally went to the bank and exchanged to last of the Traveler’s Cheques I had. Japan is not a check friendly place, so I don’t recommend using Traveler’s Cheques if you visit.

I fought the Green Dragon of the Cave of gold. Vanquished, he gifted me with 50000yen in exchange for five scrolls of writ and law

Flush with cash, I walked to the City Hall to get my Alien Registration Card and Health Insurance. I was able to complete these tasks with relative ease.

Then I ventured to the Castle of Lord Chiku. He welcomed in with a wicked grin and I was thrust directly into battle with two massive ogres. I defeated both with ease and for my valor and bravery, a maiden gave me a certificate of nobility and a mystic parchment of health.

I walked over to the haircut place that was closed the day prior and was able to get a haircut! I drew some pictures to show the stylist and she was able to cut my hair perfectly! I had no problems communicating today!

My locks were in dire need of maintenance, so I found a hairsmith and she was a comely lass indeed. She sheered my hair with great skill and only asked a tuppence in return.


Before



After



After the haircut, I had lunch at Mos Burger then caught a train to Omiya, a city about an hour away.

Verily I hungered. So I made haste to the closest tavern, Mos. After satiating my gullet, I rode upon a willo' the wisp to a far away land.

In Omiya, there is a bank which is, once you get your account set up, rather convenient to do business with. One can withdraw money from any 7-11 ATM, free of charge; this is a big bonus because cash is king here.

I had heard there was a king with a great coffer, willing to allow access for any and all.

I was unable to open an account on this day, because I do not yet have my Alien Registration Card. I have an official document that I paid $4 for, declaring I am in the process of getting my card, expressly for situations where I need my card. I was told this piece of paper would be sufficient, for that is its purpose, yet I was turned away.

The king didn't make known the rules and that is were tragedy befell our hero. I was turned away and told to come back when my good name is more well known throughout these parts.

I could use the paper to get a cell phone, but I want to have a bank account before I get my cell phone, so by that time the paper will be useless. I wandered around Omiya for awhile, looking at the shops, until I found a book store. I wanted to buy a magazine, but instead I found the manga floor. I was surrounded by comics and they were pretty inexpensive. I perused the aisles and found something that looked interesting, so I bought it.

On the way back to the train, I sat down to eat and was approached by a drunkard wanting conversation. Even though I pretended not to speak Japanese, he spoke some English, so I wasn’t off the hook. He talked with me for a while and then a friend of his walked up. I began to get nervous, so I took my leave of them. I rode the train home without incident and walked home from the station. It is getting colder at night so I’m going to need to start bringing a light jacket. I will also be getting a bicycle on Sunday. I’m looking forward to expanding my radius of exploration!

No comments:

Post a Comment