Monday, January 31, 2011

Hey there, remember me?

It's been a while, and I really did mean to write, but I haven't had the impetus and I didn't want to force anything. I wish to apologize to any of you who were faithful readers and whose throats have gone dry, thirsty for my soliloquy. Here, my lambs, drink from my anecdote spigot.  May your cup overfloweth:

I spent the rest of December worrying about how I was going to get home. I was having so many problems with my bank and the airline companies, there were times I felt like just staying here. I bit my lip and worked it out. Here are the details of my hassles.

In Japan, one does not open a checking account when one goes to the bank to open an account. Checking accounts are extremely rare, if they exist at all. Japan doesn't use checks. If you need to pay a bill, you have two options:

1. Take your bill to a convenience store and you can pay it there. The bills have bar codes on them and the convenience stores scan them and the money goes where it should. You pay the convenience store with cash.

2. Call up your bank and have them transfer the money from your savings account to the bank account of the company with whom you are indebted.

Most of the time one would use option 1.

Credit cards are famously hard to acquire. One needs to have a steady paycheck, many upstanding references, an established address, and proof of future earning potential. This being the case, many people are unable to achieve the status of "credit card holder". I've heard of television comedians cracking jokes about professional athletes and movie stars being unable to get credit cards because of the nature of their professions; they don't have steady work. Athletes work during their sport's season and actors and actresses get roles every once and a while.

With this being said, I have a savings account here in Japan and a checking account, savings account, and credit card from America. My Japanese savings account has a ATM card. I date myself here, because I was shocked to find out my ATM card was only able to withdraw funds from an ATM. It doesn't have a VISA or MasterCard logo on it, so I can't use it to buy things at stores. Not only that, but I can't use it to buy things online. This last point is key, because while I had an ample amount of funds available to me in which to purchase my plane ticket, I had them in the wrong place. I didn't have enough money in my American checking account to buy the ticket, I didn't have a high enough limit on my credit card (even though it was completely paid off), I couldn't use my Japanese ATM card to purchase the ticket online, and I didn't have enough time to transfer from my Japanese account to my American account.

I was stuck. Luckily my brother is awesome and he bought my ticket for me. I paid him when I arrived in the states.

I was planning a big surprise for me mum. She was away on a cruise until the night of the 23rd. I told her I would be home on Christmas night at 9p.m.. This was true and also not true. I was actually flying in on the morning of the 23rd. I stayed in a hotel and at my friend's apartment for the two nights before I sneaked into my mom's house on Christmas morning to surprise her.
I, with the help of Joanne, documented the whole ordeal:





I spent the next two weeks relaxing with my family and visiting with friends. I went to Disneyland, a San Jose Sharks game (they lost), and La Imperial in Hayward. I had a quaint little New Year's Eve Party, with a few of my friends, and basically just enjoyed being around those who fill me with warmth.

When I returned to Japan, I had a few days off before I had to return to work. I went to a friend's friend's house and had a nice dinner, but soon enough it was time to go back to work. I have had a ton of fun working this past month and my company is really happy with me, so I have made the decision to try and sign on for another year (April '11- April '12).

I was able to experience a Kabuki play this month! I am really glad I had the opportunity to see such a magnificent part of Japanese culture. I rented a little earbud telling me what was happneing on stage, which really helped me understand what I was seeing. I went with Yuki and Michael, and even Yuki rented an earbud because the Japanese used in Kabuki is difficult to understand.

My Japanese skill is greatly improved. I have conversations with the teachers at my schools and I recently went and saw a movie at the theatre. It was all in Japanese with no subtitles, but I understood most of it. (^_^)

Here are a bunch of pictures and with that, I will bid you all adeu. I will return to quench your thirst sooner next time, so as to spare you of your parchedness.



I went to a night club for a friend's birthday!



After the club we slept in a manga cafe. Manga cafes are place to go and read comics, use the internet, or sleep. They are open 24hrs and you can rent a cubicle for 1, 3, or 8 hours. We were at the club until 5 in the morning, so we slept at the cafe until about 8.
My cubby

Breakfast afterward at Egs n Things in Harajuku

Agreed



I had a yummy lunch with Yuki





Cool Old Dude store in Akihabara

Itsuki Tower picture with namesake

Mondo apple

Sprouts


I made some origami

Cicada

Silver Helmet

Gold Helmet

A teacher brought in an air popper and made popcorn for the staff!


I went to Asakusa again. I never tire of that place







We ate at Mr. Danger Steak House.
Mr. Danger is a retired Pro Wrestler-cum-Restaurateur










"Including me, there are five of us hidden around here."

#2

#3

#4

#5

This is a banner in Asakusa. It uses pictures to write the name of the town
The head says "a", the fart says "sa", and the word for stinky is "kusa(i)"

This is just weird

Stop! Thief!





Buildings at Ginza







LCD stairs out of a subway

Ice Skating!




Mikey and Sara

Yuki!




I got an official school sports uniform as a souvenir.



It has my name on it!


In two places!

Stylin'!


Cooking with Kids









Awesome teachers from the middle school
Ookubo-sensei (film lover) on the far left
Inagawa Kyoto-sensei in the middle (thumbs-up)
Satou-sensei seated (my school mom)
Amegai Kouchou-sensei on the right (the big boss)

Fun fact: Inagawa Kyoto-sensei has been getting his haircut at the same barbershop, with the same barber, in the same style, for the last 45 years.


Pictures from the Bonenkai (End of Year Party)





Mmmmmmm different kinds of little cakes mmmmmmmm



Pictures from America
A happy couple

in his element

Boob magnets for Uncle Patrick





Disneyland
still in his element



If I stood in the sun and smoked for the next 40 years...

Went and saw the Mr. Lincoln thing. Have never been in that building. Saw this guy.


Back in Japan
gettin' artsy


The Kabuki excursion
National Theatre



The story was about a Spider Lady

Dragon Clan leader

Baby raking Fireman


Toodles!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, I do remember you! I've been diligently checking every morning when I wake up to see if there would be a new post and was delighted to find a new one to feast my eyes on. My brain was sated by the verse meal I was gifted with. My heart was saddened though to read that you're planning on trying for another year away.  When will you be signing up for sure? Will you be coming home again before the contract starts or will you go straight through?

    Glad you're having fun and working your way around all the difficulties and
    cultural differences between here and there. Miss you buddy!

    ReplyDelete